Wednesday, May 20, 2009

NJ tube

I haven't written in a few days - I've been so busy & overwhelmed.  David remains on CPAP and in the open crib.  He is now alternating formula with breast milk (still on continuous feeds).  He also gets 3 hours per shift of nasal cannula time.  And he weighs 4 lbs, 3 oz.!

Margot had a big change today.  She kept desatting with feedings last night, so they decided to try an NJ tube for her (naso-jejunum).  This is a tube that passes through her stomach into the top of the intestines.  Up until now, they both had NG tubes.  The NG tube goes into the stomach.  Margot is still in the incubator and on nasal cannula.  She weighs 3 lbs, 9 oz.

I continue to help change their diapers, take their temperatures, and - of course - pump breast milk for them.  This is time consuming, as I need to do it every 3 hours!  Everyone says "well, at least you can sleep through the night while they are in the hospital".  Not true.

I also am holding them each day, which is so nice.  We usually doze off together.  They have been doing better when I hold them individually - more room for them and easier for me to make sure they have clear breathing pathways - so it really fills my day (hold one for a couple hours, pump, clean pump stuff and put everything away, hold another for a couple of hours, pump, etc.). 

David and Margot were 3 weeks old yesterday!!!  That puts them at "33 weeks gestation" today.  These past 3 weeks have felt so long, but when I try to remember them, it's like they have flown by.

No comments:

Post a Comment